David is a principal at Fischel Kahn.
He represents a core group of clients: privately held businesses, senior executives, and high net worth individuals as their outside general counsel and trusted advisor. When advising clients, David understands that legal, business and personal issues are all relevant to providing the best possible legal counsel in each situation. In so doing, David’s clients achieve successful outcomes through a common sense approach to the law and client needs.
David enjoys working with clients throughout the entire lifespan of an engagement. In the corporate context, projects are performed throughout the entire life of a business. From corporate formation and ownership agreements to the sale or merger of an entity—with sales, licensing, strategic partnership, employment, and other operational agreements in between—David has assisted his clients to move forward. He also uses this knowledge as a member of the Business Executives Association where he sits on the Board of Directors.
In the dispute resolution context, David has both defended and prosecuted cases for businesses and high net worth individuals. These engagements include a wide variety of claims including breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, breach of restrictive covenants, breach of contract, “business divorces”, and trade secret misappropriation. Like in the corporate context, David’s experience extends to the top: David played a significant role in a case from the trial level all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, where his client’s position was affirmed. FMC v. South Carolina State Ports Authority, 535 U.S. 743 (2002)
Other notable experience where David has successfully advised clients includes:
- Lobbying the executive branch and Congress to reverse contracts that were unfairly awarded to competitors by the U.S. Coast Guard;
- Representing several banks in the loan documentation and negotiation process; and
- Litigating and negotiating a settlement agreement to avoid the cancellation of a heavyweight championship boxing match outside of the United States.
In addition to practicing law for more than twenty years, David co-founded two companies and served on the advisory boards for two technology start-ups.
Prior to entering private practice, David served as a law clerk to the Honorable William D. Stiehl of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois from 1998-99.
David Seidman has been named a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Closely & Privately Held Business Law, Commercial Litigation, Secured Transactions Law, and Banking & Financial Institutions Law.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Business Executives Association, Director
- Private Directors Association
- Conscious Capitalism, Inc.
- “Avoiding Conflicts Between Fiduciary Duties and Family Values”
Financial Advisor Magazine May, 2018
- “Are Edge Tax Credits Really Keeping Businesses in Illinois?”
Crain’s Chicago Business Magazine October 1, 2014
- “ Ocean Shipping Alliances: The Wave of the Future?”
International Journal of Maritime Economics, Vol. 3, No. 4. 2001