Robert Kaufman is a principal at Fischel Kahn, focusing on estate planning and the related administration, taxation, and litigation of estates and trusts.
He draws upon his extensive knowledge of state and federal tax codes while guiding clients through all manner of estate planning and probate, trust administration and litigation. For over four decades he has approached his practice with a dedication to client service and privacy.
In his more general practice, he represents individuals and privately held business entities in various transactional, corporate and real estate matters.
Bob is a former Chair of the Illinois State Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section Council, and now serves as a member of the Elder Law Section Council. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of both the Charles and M.R. Shapiro Foundation and the Trillium Foundation and was previously the Chair of the Chicago Bar Association Probate Practice Committee.
Bob is a Leading Lawyer as well as AV Preeminent Rated, the highest level of professional excellence in ethical standards and legal ability. He has been selected as a Top Rated Lawyers in Trusts & Estates by Martindale-Hubbell and is regularly recognized by Leading Lawyers for his work in Trusts, Will & Estate Planning Law, Elder Law, Taxation Law, and Closely & Privately Held Business Law.
- Chicago Bar Association, Probate Practice Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association, Elder Law Section Council
- American Bar Association, Federal Tax Section
- Chicago Estate Planning Council
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Decalogue Society of Lawyers
- “The Illinois Estate Tax: The surprises continue”
ISBA Trust & Estates Newsletter, Vol. 64, No. 8, February 2018 View here
- “Transfers into trust: A new reality?”
ISBA Trust & Estates Newsletter, Vol. 63, No. 4, September 2016 View here
- “How Do You Trust?”
ISBA Trust & Estates Newsletter, Vol. 62, No. 4, October 2015 View here
- “Advance Directives in a Mobile Society”
ISBA Trusts & Estates Newsletter, Vol. 60, No. 5, November 2013 View here
- “Whither the Remainderman”
ISBA Trusts and Estates Newsletter Vol. 58, No. 9, April, 2012 View here
- “The Illinois estate tax: A few surprises, perhaps?”
ISBA Trusts and Estates Newsletter, Vol. 58, No. 4, October 2011 View here
- “Estate Planning by Guardians: The Next Generation”
ISBA Trusts and Estates Newsletter, Vol. 57, No. 4, November 2010 View here