Ronald is a principal at Fischel Kahn.
Companies and individuals come to Ron when they encounter business problems, from breaches of contract, to partnership disputes, to seeking or preventing injunctions. Clients also turn to him when they are unhappy with the results from state and federal trial courts.
Ron’s primary areas of practice are civil appeals, commercial litigation and chancery actions, and he represents a wide variety of individuals and corporate clients, as well as banks, corporate fiduciaries, and individuals in guardianship proceedings.
While litigation is rarely in a client’s best interest, should it ensue he will zealously advocate for his clients while remaining mindful of the nuances of each situation.
He has extensive trial experience in both State and Federal Courts and has successfully argued before the Illinois Appellate Court and the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ron’s commercial litigation matters have included contract, labor, ERISA, bankruptcy, mortgage foreclosures, breach of guaranty, replevin, attorney malpractice defense, injunctions, accounting, partition, partnership dissolution, mechanics liens, probate, zoning variances, quiet title, and collection matters.
- Illinois State Supreme Court Committee on Character & Fitness, Second District 2015-2020.
- Illinois State Bar Association, Civil Practice & Procedure Committee Member 2012-Present; Secretary 2017-2018; Vice-Chair 2018-2019; Chair 2019-2020; Allerton House Conference Chair 2019; Allerton House Conference Chair 2021.
- DuPage County Bar Association, Chair, Appellate Law & Practice Committee 2011-2012; 2016-2017; Chair Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee 2018-2019, Director 2020-2023.
- DuPage Bar Association Fee Dispute Resolution Committee Chair 2018-2019.
- DuPage Bar Foundation 2016-2020; President 2018-2019.
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association, Board of Directors Member (2nd Appellate District) 2018- 2020.
Ron has been appointed for the second year by the Illinois Supreme Court to serve on its Committee on Character and Fitness for the Second Judicial District.
He is regularly asked to speak to groups on a wide range of topics, including legal ethics, civil appeals, and commercial litigation. Ron also regularly pens articles for the Illinois State Bar Association and the DuPage County Bar Association.
In 2018, Ron was appointed by Judge Wheaton of the 18th Judicial Circuit as the Trustee-In-Dissolution of the Highland Hill Sanitary District. The District was successfully dissolved in July 2019.
Ron has also been named an Illinois Super Lawyer.
- Search and Seizure / Right to Privacy / Plain View Doctrine, 75 Ill. Bar J. 690 (1987)
- Follow the Money: The Partial Payment Doctrine and Unwritten Contracts, 20 D.C.B.A. Brief 8 (2008), cited in Delgado v. Capital Mgmt. Servs. LP, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 40796, * 13 (C.D. Ill. Mar. 22, 2013)
- Appellate Law Sidebar, DuPage County Bar Association Brief (2010-2011)
- Perception vs. Reality: Money in judicial elections, 41 Bench & Bar, No. 4 (ISBA March 2011)
- “Strive Mightily”: Some Thoughts on Civility & the Illinois Bar, 43 Bench & Bar, No. 9 (ISBA May 2013)
- First District requires two years of continuous employment to enforce employee covenants not to compete: Fifield v. Premier Dealer Services, Inc., 2013 IL App (1st) 120327, 59 Trial Briefs, No. 2 (ISBA August 2013)
- Pennsylvania Judge Takes A Bold Stand Against Unprofessional Conduct, 46 Bench & Bar, No. 2 (ISBA September 2015); 61 Trial Briefs, No. 3 (ISBA October 2015)
- Appellate Court Clarifies How to Properly Complete a Summons, 61 Trial Briefs, No. 5 (ISBA December 2015)
- Motions for Summary Affirmance in the Seventh Circuit, DCBA Brief, Vol. 26, issue 2 (October 2016)
- Chicken Dinner Warrants Recusal? Not So Fast! – 50 Bench & Bar, No. 6 (ISBA March 2020); 66 Trial Briefs, No. 5 (ISBA March 2020); 63 Commercial Banking, Collections and Bankruptcy, No. 3 (ISBA April 2020)